Juice Clarifier Flash Tank construction parameters with online calculator
About Flash tank
1) Clarifiers are normally preceded by a flash tank. This is a simple cylindrical tank located just above and ahead of the clarifier, with a flue open to the atmosphere. Now days according to energy conservation the flue also used for filter juice or clear juice heating. General in flash tank design juice enters in tangential direction from the juice heaters. In some flash tank designs juice entry will be giving into center of flash tank. In this article discussed about tangential entry type flash tank design.
2) It is important to heat the juice to above the boiling point and allow it to flash. This enables any air in the juice to be removed, and ensures that the juice runs at a constant temperature to the clarifier. In the process any air entrapped in particles of bagasse or bagacillo also escapes, enabling these particles to settle and not carry over with the clarified juice.
3) The extent of superheating required does not seem to be critical. It is generally thought that a control set point 2-3 oC above boiling point should be used, so that even with some excursions around the set point, the juice will always be delivered superheated to the flash tank. Temperatures above this are deemed to be unnecessary and only increase the amount of steam used in the factory.
4) Temperatures much higher than design could lead to excessive flash that the flash tank may not be able to handle, leading to entrainment and loss of sugar from the flash tank. Generally the temperature should never exceed 1050C.
Flash tank design formulas :
The dia of the flash tank should be based on the maximum liquid flow rate that the flash tank will receive. The amount of flash at maximum flow rate needs to be computed, and the diameter chosen to prevent entrainment of liquid. This requires an estimate of the maximum allowable upward velocity the in flash tank. The Souders-Brown equation for the design velocity is used;
Umax = C x [ (ρ L – ρV)/ ρV]0.5
The value of the maximum velocity Umax is given in m/s. The value of the constant C is a measure of the droplet size that will be carried over and depends on the degree of separation of liquid and vapor required.
According to Perry (1963), for a decontamination factor (kg vapor/kg liquid) of 10000, C should have the value 0.0060 m/s,
- Flash tank Juice inlet Quantity to the flash tank = M in T/hr
- Juice Inlet Temperature = Ti in oC
- Juice outlet Temperature = To in oC
- Specific heat of the juice = Cp in kcal/kg
- Juice Density = ρ L in kg/M3
- Flash vapour Density = ρ V in kg/M3
- Juice Inlet velocity to the flash tank = Vi in m/sec (Juice inlet velocity to flash tank generally having 1.5 to 1.8 m/sec)
- Juice outlet velocity to the flash tank = Vo in m/sec (Juice outlet velocity from flash tank generally having 0.6 to 1 m/sec)
- Flash vapour velocity in vent pipe = Vv in m/sec (Flash vapour velocity in vent pipe generally having 4 to 10 m/sec)
- Latent heat of the Flash Vapour = λ in Kcal/Kg
- Specific Volume of the flash tank = Sp in M3/Kg
- Coefficient = 0.006 m/sec (Note : Refer Cane Sugar Engineering by peter rein )
- Specific volume and latent of the flash vapour to be taken from steam table. Online Steam Table For Saturated steam (Note :Latent heat taken at inlet juice temperature and specific heat value was taking for the average juice inlet and outlet temperature.)
- Velocity of flash vapour in flash tank(m/sec) = Umax = C x [ (ρ L – ρV)/ ρV]0.5
- Flash vapour Quantity (T/hr) = [ M x Cp x (Ti-To)]/ λ
- Flash vapour Qty. (M3/Sec) = Q
- Flash Tank Dia = By using general formula Q = AV (here velocity taken Umax)
- Flash Tank Juice inlet Dia = By using general formula Q = AV( here velocity to be take Vi)
- Flash tank Vapour Vent Pipe Dia = By using general formula Q = AV( here velocity to be take Vv)
- Flash tank juice outlet Dia = By using general formula Q =AV( here velocity to be take Vo)
- The flash tank juice outlet line size is particularly important, It should be sized to be self-venting, at the maximum liquid flow rate. So the dia to be cross check by the formula D > 1.116 (Q)0.4 Here D is dia of the juice outlet pipe and Q is juice quantity in M3/sec.
- The inlet of the juice to be provide in tangential direction.
- In side of the flash tank it is better to provide partition plates, at just below of the inlet of the juice to reduce the velocity and steady outlet flow of the juice.
- The bottom cone angle of the flash tank generally having 30 to 35deg and top of the flash tank having flat type or minimum cone angle is about 15 to 20deg.
- The cone of the flash tank should be positioned at the minimum height above the clarifier that will allow juice outlet from a short stub with 90° bend and the appropriate length of horizontal feed pipe to the clarifier. The juice pipe from the flash tank to the clarifier must include a drain line,
- The height of the flash having 1 to 1.5 times on dia for general flash tank designs.
Flash Tank Design Calculation Sheet
For More Articles
Condensate or Duplex Heater (Liquid- Liquid Heater) heating surface, number of tubes, tube plate dia, pressure drop calculation formulas with online calculation sheet.
Formulas for Calculating Sugar process industry Daily Manufacturing Report (DMR), chemical control or sugar lab calculation, recovery%cane With online calculation sheet.
Condenser System and its types (Barometric, multijet, single entry) with design criteria ,Barometric Column height and dia,Condenser Water Requirement.
Formulas and design consideration parameters in Robert Evaporator Design and also provided online calculation sheet with formulas.
Calculator to Find liquid volume for vertically mounted cylindrical volume and also find the volume in cylindrical tank partitioned portion.
Role of Flocculants in Sugar Industry | Flocculant Dosing Online Calculator.
Flocculants used in sugar industry | Flocculants action,properties & advantages in sugar cane juice clarification process | Flocculant solution preparation and dosing requirements with online calculator.
Hi friends Thanks for reading. I Hope you liked it. Give feed back, comments and please don’t forget to share it
Dighe Annaso Tatya(May 11, 2017 - 12:57 pm)
I am working as a manufacturing Chemist.
siva alluri(May 11, 2017 - 3:58 pm)
Dear Dighe Annaso Tatya,
This website is one of the best platform to every technologist to show their identity to the world by the submission of sugar industry related articles.
The “www.sugarprocesstech.com” invites to all sugar technologists to share your knowledge, achievements in your working organization and new developments and technologies in sugar industry and its concerned units. It is very much helpful to another technologist to enhance their insight and enhance great execution in there working. This website also provides the basic knowledge in sugar industry technologies and equipment design calculation with online calculators. http://www.sugarprocesstech.com/
Manirul Sk(May 14, 2017 - 10:58 pm)
Realy it is too much helpful to increase our knowledge in this field.
I’m work in Refinery plant . Some doubts occurs in my mind, that ” What will be effect of liquor colour when it will pass through DBF ? If colour increase then what is actual reason ?”
siva alluri(May 17, 2017 - 11:31 am)
Sugarprocesstech requested to sugar technologist please clarify the above Mr. manirul doubts (write in the commenting box with name)
udai veer(May 19, 2017 - 12:32 am)
good& clear calculation
Praveen S jagadal(July 12, 2017 - 5:14 am)
Very nice papars
siva alluri(July 12, 2017 - 7:04 am)
The “www.sugarprocesstech.com” invites from all technologists to share your knowledge, achievements in your working organization and new developments and technologies in sugar industry and its concerned units. It is very much helpful to show your identity to the world at the same time it will helpful to another technologist to enhance their insight and enhance great execution in there working.
Yakubu Gankon Anthony(September 1, 2017 - 6:12 pm)
I found the site pack full of information and knowledge for novice and beginners in engineering and technology. I am inspired and i appreciate the development.
siva alluri(September 4, 2017 - 5:05 pm)
The “www.sugarprocesstech.com” invites to all sugar technologists to share your knowledge, achievements in your working organization and new developments and technologies in sugar industry and its concerned units. It is very much helpful to show your identity to the world at the same time it will helpful to another technologist to enhance their insight and enhance great execution in there working. This website also provides the basic knowledge in sugar industry technologies and equipment design calculation with online calculators.
Veera sharma(December 21, 2017 - 9:01 pm)
I’m working in double sulphitation plant and my que is what’s problem create if dorr air vent is closed
siva alluri(December 23, 2017 - 1:11 pm)
Please write your opinion for that above que.
Jodi(October 14, 2018 - 3:19 pm)
Thank you for any other informative web site. The place else may I am getting that kind of
information written in such a perfect way? I’ve a project that I’m
simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.
Sapto(January 26, 2019 - 1:54 am)
How is calculation the flash tank cilinder height ? thank you
Vijay kumar(July 29, 2021 - 1:26 am)
Clarifier me inlet juice ki velocity kya hoti h batao