Sugar Industry Thumb Rules for Equipment Design Sizing
The following thumb rules useful for installation guide to sugar industry equipment sizing. These all are giving an instant approximate idea for cross check the existing system.
Juice Extraction System
1.Milling Tandem in milling sugar industry : The specific total mill power = 70 to 164 kW/Ton fiber per hour . (Avg – 104)
2. Milling Tandem in Diffuser sugar industry : The specific total mill power = 38.3 to 110 kW/Ton fiber hour . (Avg – 60.3)
3. Diffusers : The specific screen area = 6.6to 14.9 m2/Ton fiber per hour. (Avg – 10.7 ).
1.Juice Heaters : Total heating surface area = 4.29 to 13.1 m2/TCH (Avg – 8.0).
2. Every 10oC juice temperature rising required steam = 1.8 % on cane.
3. Steam required for Juice heating = 12 to 15% on cane. ( Vary according to waste heat recovery from condensate or pans vapour or last effect vapour).
4. Head loss in tubular juice heater = 12 to 16mwc & in plate type heater (PHE) = 10 to 12mwc.
5. Trayless Clarifier : Total volumetric capacity = 0.75 to 1.73 m3/TCH (Avg – 1.14).
6. Trayless Clarifier : Total cross sectional area = 0.2 to 0.22 m2 /TCH
7. Trayless Clarifier : Tray area = 0.22 to 0.33 m2/TCH.
8. Tray Type Clarifier : Total volumetric capacity = 2 to 3 m3/TCH (Avg – 2.5).
9. Tray Type Clarifier : Tray area =1.6 to 1.7 m2/TCH.
10. Tray Type Clarifier : Total cross sectional area = 0.38 to 0.42 m2 /TCH
11. Rotary Vacuum Filter : Total effective area = 0.6 to 0.7 m2/TCH.
12. Bagacillo requirement for vacuum filter = 7 to 8 kg per TCH
13. Bagacillo Qty available for 8mesh = 60 to 75 kg of bagacillo /m2/hr.
14. Air requirement for bagacillo conveying = 6.25 M3 of air will be required per kg of bagacillo
15. Legment : Dead end Juice heater = 12mm, Dynamic = 15mm, Vapour line juice heater = 15mm.
16. Sulphitor or Defecator working volume in M3 = TCH x (0.14 to 0.16) (Avg – 0.15).
17. Air requirement of sulphur bunner in M3 = 8 t0 9 times of sulphur wt. in kgs.
18. Syrup Sulphitor : Working volume of syrup sulphitor in HL = (0.02 x TCD)
1.Multiple Effect Evaporation: Total heating surface area = 24.5 to 65.5 m2/TCH (Avg – 38.6).
2. Quad effect evaporator bodies heating surface / TCD = 1.5 ( Ex For 5000TCD plant = 7500m2 Heating surface required.
3. Quintuple effect evaporator bodies heating surface / TCD = 1.6 ( Ex For 5000TCD plant = 8000m2 Heating surface required.
4. (DEVC + Quad) effect evaporator bodies heating surface / TCD = 1.4 ( Ex For 5000TCD plant = 7000m2 Heating surface required.)
5. Legment of Evaporators = 10mm.
6. Down take area = 1/6th to 1/8th on total dia of evaporator.
7. Vapour velocity in vapour space of evaporator body = 0.6m/sec.
8. Vapour space height in Robert type evaporators = 2 x calendria tube height ( Note : for lost body it may 2.5)
9. Injection water pump : Total plant injection water pump capacity required = (0.8 to 1 ) x TCD ( For raw m/c boiling it may 0.75 to 0.85 and for refinery plant 0.9 to 1.1).
1.Vacuum pans : Total capacity = 1.25 to 1.90 m2/TCH (Avg – 1.52).
2. Steam required for m/c boiling in white sugar production = 17 to 23% on cane. ( Vary according to the inlet liquor brix, type of the pan, m/c boiling scheme).
3. Steam required for m/c boiling in Refined sugar production = 22 to 28% on cane. ( Vary according to the inlet liquor brix, type of the pan, m/c boiling scheme).
4. Syrup supply tanks required in HL = TCH x (6 to 8).
5. Supply tanks all molasses required in HL = TCH x (10 to 12).
6. S/V ratio for batch pans = 6 to 7 (Avg 6.6)
7. S/V ratio for continuous pans = 10 to 11.
8. Batch pan vapour outlet line dia = 66.1 x SQRT(heating surface in m2).
9. Legment of pans = 16mm.
10. Dow take area of batch pan = 40 % on total dia of the pan.
11. Vapour velocity in vapour space of pan = 25 m/sec.
12. Crystallizers : Total capacity = 4.5 to 6 m3/TCH (Avg – 5.25 ).
13. S/V ratio for B m/c cooling crystalizer = 1.2.
14. S/V ratio for C m/c cooling crystalizer = 2.0.
15. Mono Vertical Crystalizer ( MVC ) capacity for C m/c cooling in Ton = ( TCD /10)
16. Condenser water requirement in M3 = (40 to 55) x ton of vapour to be condense. ( For single entry = 40, Barometric = 47, Jet type = 55).
17. Spray Pond area : 750 kg/hr of warm water requires 1 m² of area of spray pond ( Suppose spray pump capacity 2000m3/hr require spray area = 2000/0.75 = 2666 m² )
18. Horizontal cross-section of the body of the condenser = 0.16m2/ ton of vapour to be condensed per hour.
19. Colour transfer from massecuite to sugar :(IU in G-10 method)
For 1st m/c in Sulphitation plant 1 to 1.5% ( ex: m/c colour 6000 then sugar colour 60 to 90 IU)
Raw and refined sugar from its massecuite – 4 to 6% ( ex: m/c colour 14000 then sugar colour 560 to 840IU)
1. Each Magma and seed pumps capacity required = (TCD x 0.008 ) T/hr.
2. B and C Sugar Melter capacity required (working volume) = (TCD x 0.004) M3
3. Thickness : 18g = 1.22mm , 16g = 1.625, 14g = 1.8mm.
These all thumb rules gives only approximate values for sugar industry equipment sizing.
Sugar Industry Equipment Design and Drawing Calculations.
We requested to all technologist please give suggestion or comment in the below commenting box to improve this article, ” Thumb Rules for Sugar factory “. It is helpful to all technologists.