How to Make Jaggery (Organic and Commercial) from sugar cane
- 1 How to Make Jaggery (Organic and Commercial) from sugar cane
- 1.1 Jaggery (Gur):
- 1.2 Flow Chart for Jaggery Making Process:
- 1.3 Main steps in jaggery making process:
- 1.4 Composition and specification of Jaggery (Gur):
- 1.5 Storage of jaggery:
- 1.6 Organic Jaggery making Process:
Manufacturing of Jaggery is from sugar cane followed by clarification and concentration process. It is Uncentrifuged sugar (i.e Without separation of molasses) with minimum sucrose 70 to 80% by mass. It is also called as Gur.
Flow Chart for Jaggery Making Process:
Main steps in jaggery making process:
- Extraction of Juice
- Clarification of juice
- Concentration of juice
Extraction of Juice:
Generally three roller mills used for juice extraction. It is driven by electrical motor or diesel engine. This extraction of juice is in the range of 60 to 70%. After extraction of juice, suspended matters are removed by cotton cloth or finr mesh screen.
Clarification of juice:
- The sugar juice contains colloidal matter, inorganic salts, fiber, various nitrogenous substances, lipids, gums, wax organic acid, inorganic acid, pectin etc. All these impurities removed totally or partially in this clarification process.
- In the clarification process generally used two types of clarificants are used they are Organic Clarificants and Inorganic Clarificants. In organic clarificants are form vegetable origin like Bendi, Sulkali and Doela. Inorganic clarificants used like Lime, Hydrous Power and super phosphate.
- The screen juice taken in open pan and firing starts slowly so that dissolved air escaped and gummy, colloidal substances get coagulated by the adding of clarificants as per requirement. It comes at top surface of the juice know as scum and it is removing continuously . In this process temperature requirement is 70oC to 800
- First added vegetable origin simultaneously small quantity of lime water is added to reduce the acidity of juice but not to the extent to make juice neutrals because taste and colour of gur produced will be inferior. In this lime process pH maintained 6.2 to 6.5. In some cases super phosphate. P2O5, and 0.25% concentrated hydrous power are also added to obtain good colour of Gur (jaggey). While juice temperature rising scum is removed by perforated strainers.
Concentration of juice:
- After clarification completed by vigorous boiling, temperature of boiling mass is around 110 to 115o Boiling take place about 2 to 3 hours. The stage at which semi fluid material is formed then it is transferred rectangular boxes or Bucket shape boxes as per requirement. This mass is allowed to cool for solid form.
Composition and specification of Jaggery (Gur):
- It contains all the nutrients and substances present in cane juice. The nutrient value of jaggery is slightly higher than that of crystalline sugar because it contains all constituents which are normally separated in molasses in manufacturing of sugar.
- Recovery of jaggery in the range from 8 to 12% that depending upon the total solids in cane.
- Jaggery graded in the market according to basis of colour, taste, hardness and crystalinity which is judged by visual appearance. While in practically graded of jaggery should be consider sucrose %, reducing sugar, moisture and colour.
Specifications Of Jaggery
|S.No.||Characteristic||Grade 1||Grade 2|
|Sucrose % by mass( Min)||80||70|
|Reducing Sugars% by mass (max)||10||20|
|Moisture % by mass ( max )||5||7|
|Water Solubility % by mass (max)||1.5||2|
|Sulphited Ash % (max)||3.5||5|
|Ash Insoluble in dilute HCL % by mass (max)||0.3||0.3|
|Sulphur Dioxide In PPM||5||5|
|Note: Total Sugars expressed as invert sugar on dry basis shall be 90% from both grade 1 & grade 2|
Storage of jaggery:
Jaggery is consumed throughout the year in daily regular practice. The jaggery detoriates faster in monsoon season when relative humidity is more than 70%. During this season gur absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and becomes viscous and dark colour. Hence jaggery blocks packed in gunny bags along with water proof sheet.
Organic Jaggery making Process:
In Manufacturing of organic Jaggery taking care from growing of sugar cane. In sugar cane cultivation maximum used only natural organic fertilizers like cow dung.
The difference between organic and commercial jaggery making is mainly in clarification process. In organic jaggery making process used only organic clarificants and little bit of lime to decrease the acidity of juice. So organic jaggery colour having dark when compare with commercial jaggery.
Hi friends Thanks for reading. I Hope you liked it. Give feed back, comments and please share it.